AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Billing 90862 with E/M code

Default Billing 90862 with E/M code

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a family practice client that would like to add 90862 (med check) to their EM visits. From what I have read, this is inappropriate billing. Unless they are only coming in for med checks (for ADD or depression), is the only time you can bill this. I feel that this would be included in the office visit. I would like input on this or where I can get it in "black and white" so I can show the physicians the proper way to do this.

Thank you!

San Diego

I just looked up the codes you mention and they are considered mutually exclusive and the indicator on the CCI Edits list is "O". I don't know if the link below will work for you but if not, you can log on to the the CCI Edits via the CMS website.

Hope this helps!

Sylvia Thompson, CPC
    Billing Supervisor
    San Diego, CA

Louisville, KY

Although CCI Edits will get you a general idea, my comments won't be "black and white" either.

CPT conventions include the service of 90862 in an E/M. Take an audit sheet for E/M and show your physician the Risk Table--Prescription Meds are included there, so it's a "bundled" service.

What your physicians are "wanting" to do is unbundling, and there's plenty of commentary around on that practice.

Good luck.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Thanks everyone for your input. It has sent me in the direction I knew I needed to go!

Similar Threads

1. 90862 billing
    By ninaogh in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 08:34 AM
  2. billing for 90847 and 90862
    By American_Ginger in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 06:05 AM
  3. Visit code with 90862
    By veloso in forum Behavioral Health
    Replies: 3