AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Tetanus and MDM

Question Tetanus and MDM

AAPC: Back to School
    Can someone please explain to me why a tetanus shot would be considered prescription drug management when trying to find the level of Medical Decision Making? I know that the patient had to get it from the doctor but this just doesnt seem right to me and maybe with a little information I may be able agree with this. Thanks!
    Last edited by TaylorTot; 02-12-2009 at 09:59 AM.

I don't see that as prescription drug management, but there is usually a reason the physician updated the tetanus. I would need more information to see medical decision making, but again receiving a tetanus shot just doesn't sit well with me under Prescription Drug Management. Also remember that the Table of Risk is more of a guide to what is happening with the patient. I would again believe that the physician would have more information documented to support Medical Decision Making.

Hope that helps.
    Susan Ward, CPC, COC, CPC-I, CEMC, CPCD, CPRC
    AAPC ICD-10 Expert Trainer

A small act of kindness a day can make someone's day special

Thumbs up

Thank you. I do not agree with it either but in another forum someone says that it is. I wanted clarification but I was having a hard time agreeing with it. I have asked many people and now you all agree that it is not.

Similar Threads

1. Tetanus/TDap
    By sharon.strong@clarkmemorial.org in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
  2. tetanus??
    By Sandra Fender in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM
  3. Tetanus Help
    By tcoder5 in forum Internal Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 06:09 AM
  4. -25 with tetanus immunizations
    By j_warman in forum Modifiers
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM
  5. tetanus shot in the table of risk (MDM)
    By JennyLynn in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM