AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICD-10 Discussion

AAPC: Back to School
    I heard the same thing from someone about moving on to ICD11. Who knows? I was preparing a presentation on drug poisoning and adverse effects and I found it interesting that ICD10 is being used on the federal level and at South Carolina's Dept. of Health and Environmental Control for reporting of mortality.

Salt Lake

Default Clarifications

Europe is using ICD-10. In fact, just about every country in the world is using ICD-10.

ICD-11 is still in development.

All State Health Departments in the United States currently use ICD-10 for all mortality reporting to the CDC, and then on to the WHO, but what will be implemented for morbidity reporting (and therefore affecting medical reporting) is ICD-10-CM.

ICD-10-CM cannot be implemented before October 2010 (which would be for the 2011 codes), and a more likely date is October 2011 or October 2012 (the 2012 or 2013 codes).

Hope this clears up confusion!

Bay City

I think that the ICD-10 is going to be wonderful. We actually have a copy of the 2007 draft and although there are alot more codes, in terms of being able to code to the highest specificity I LOVE IT. I'm actually looking forward to the change over.

Nashville, Tennessee

Red face

I only have one thing to say with everything else going on the world of Health care my one motto is "If it ain't broke don't fix it" It seems like everytime you turn around everything is changing in health care and it is only getting worse when is the insanity going to stop. This ICD 10 is really going over board and going to extremes.

Salt Lake

Thumbs up Timeline on ICD-10

Relax! ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS are still a few years out, and you will certainly have at least two years' notice, by law, before implementation. Most likely date is Oct 1 2011 or Oct 1 2012...but may be later than that.

ICD-11 isn't being used anywhere in the world. It is still under development.

ICD-9 doesn't have tabulated capabilities to reflect the change in our industry. Once they do implement ICD-10 that is when I plan on breaking back into the industry, if I am not forced to find employment over this summer.

Smile Icd-10

If you look at the 369 new ICD-9-CM codes to be implemented in October, it is clear that ICD-9 is trying to nudge us toward ICD-10. There is more specificity to the new codes with increased use of 5th digits and the new pap smear codes alone are very specific. People griped about the automobile in the horse and buggy era and we like to gripe about change but what would we do without our cars? I am being very positive about this and have already started to work on presentations for our local chapter. We will all learn together. Lynn Kimsey, CPC, CPC-I, CPC-E/M

Locust Grove, GA

Thumbs up ICD-10 Implementation.

I welcome the changes that the ICD-10 will bring. There are so many diagnostic findings that are reported as unspecified. The ICD-10 will provide additional detail to the DX and will be reported in a universal manner. Being included in that type of capacity will generate additional information to work on treatments and conditions.

Does anyone know what the time frame will be as far the educational training for existing coders?

Will this also lead to a dual certification between AHIMA and the AAPC?

~ Genieve Nottage MBA, BSHA, CPC, CPC-I

I think we should consider ICD-10 a good thing. We have challenges in our lives everyday. Since ICD-10 is going to be a mandatory endeaver, we should embrace it---it's not like we can refuse (unless we want to give up our jobs!). We will have the availability of more specific codes, which should also help us out in the long run.

Louisville, KY

Gienieve brought up a great point: what happens to credentials when we "roll over" into ICD-10?

In the past, AAPC has mentioned a "proficiency exam" for the transition and as far as I can tell AHIMA expects continuing education on the issue. No other official words yet (and wouldn't anything be a tad premature at this rate?).

Regardless, how would coders feel about being made to "re-take" an exam or otherwise demonstrate proficiency in the ICD-10 system?

Would we (gasp!) create another credential for ICD-10 or require current holders to submit to another exam?
    Last edited by kevbshields; 07-17-2008 at 02:07 PM.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast