AAPC - Back to school
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICD-10 Discussion

AAPC: Back to School
    The transition will happen, and regaurdless of how, we as coders will need to adapt. The way in wich we find the code will be the same, making the transition easy (no need to teach old dogs new tricks). Lets think of the opportunities rather than fear the unknown!

SF Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by kevbshields View Post
    Gienieve brought up a great point: what happens to credentials when we "roll over" into ICD-10?

In the past, AAPC has mentioned a "proficiency exam" for the transition and as far as I can tell AHIMA expects continuing education on the issue. No other official words yet (and wouldn't anything be a tad premature at this rate?).

Regardless, how would coders feel about being made to "re-take" an exam or otherwise demonstrate proficiency in the ICD-10 system?

Would we (gasp!) create another credential for ICD-10 or require current holders to submit to another exam?
    I just took the CPC test 2 days ago ( I think I passed) but I don't want to take another test for 2010...I'm exhausted from studying ...Janarose
    Last edited by janarose; 07-29-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Default HHS has proposed adoption of icd-10 code sets

As of August 15th, HHS has proposed putting icd-10 in place on October 1, 2011. I think it is time that we move forward with this. Yes, it's going to be challenging at first because that's the way change is but we can do this! I am hopeful that the implementation of icd-10 icombined with the use of electronic medical records will cause us to see a significant improvement in documentation by all health care providers. This should result in improved care and reduced errors across the continuum for our patients.

Default Icd10

I don't fear ICD10 and I like change. But I think realistically of the expense to everyone involved from CMS, insurance companies, clearing houses, hospitals, and physician offices. I would be interested to see a cost projection for this. It has to be astronomical! Someone will have to pay for this and that always seems to roll down to the tax payers, employees and patients, (all of which I am).

Medicare alone can never implement anything without glitches, I can't imagine having this not affect payments and that any of it will smoothly. All the edits, and software changes, eek!

I know ICD10 has more specific codes, but I have worked in this business for over 20 years and have not had many physicians be specific enough in their documentation to code anything but the basics. They need to be taught this in Medical School.

Neverless I will be on board. Unless a rich uncle's inheritance comes along.

Default My 2 Cents

I don't fear ICD-10 because I don't think I can learn it. I taught myself ICD-9 coding so I'll probably teach myself ICD-10 as well. As previously mentioned, it will be thrust upon us at some point anyway, so why worry too much about it?

No, my problem is also the expense. Medicare and Medicaid will inevitably screw it up somehow (I'm still fighting with them over NPI issues) and my software (which we just installed this year) probably will not support it and it will be a nightmare to upgrade - not to mention costly. Those certified coders who live near metropolitan areas will have plenty of opportunities to attend chapter meetings, workshops, and seminars on the topic but how will those of us in smaller, more rural areas, receive the education? I never attend chapter meetings for the chapter I am assigned to because it is over an hour away and gas is not cheap.

In addition, if we all will be required to take the exam again to retain our certification, how are we going to pay for that? I used my tax return a few years ago in order to pay for my books, exam, and membership dues. There was no extra money to pay for a coding course so I studied on my own. It was a hardship on my family at the time but ultimately worth it. I passed the exam on the first try but it turned my brain inside out and I do not want to go through another five hour test again. Can AAPC not just assume that we will become proficient in ICD-10 because we are certified coders? We didn't learn ICD-9 overnight. Will AAPC expect us to pick up on ICD-10 immediately?

I am the only certified coder in a very busy OMS practice in a rural area. I do not assign all the codes initially. I work with a few coworkers and the doctors to put those on the claims. Am I to be expected to be the only person to do that once ICD-10 is implemented until I can train everyone here? My caseload is already extremely overwhelming. This ICD-10 topic sounds more and more like a nightmare to me!!!

Anyway, this is the ICD-10 situation as I see it.

Jennifer, CPC

Default ICD 10 discussion

I cannot remember where I read it but I am sure it was on the AAPC site that they stated that they were not going to require us to be re certified and were going to do it in the form of CEU's.

Maria A Candia

All I can say is: IT'S ABOUT TIME!! It was put off with Y2K;then it was put off for HIPAA. The rest of the world is using ICD-10 and it is time we started too. It will be great to have more specificity.

I've heard that it will have minimal effect at physician's offices as they usually only have one computer system. It will have greater effect in hospitals where there are numerous system that will need to be changed over.

From what I understand the latest projection on ICD-11 for the US is perhaps 2020. It is still in development and even when the rest of the world goes to ICD11 the US makes changes to it and they are saying at the absolute earliest it would be 2020. So let's get this ICD-10 going!

As far as coding credentials - I cannot see that they will be taken away or retesting going on. There will probably have to be some sort of "grandfathering" going on and need for additional education. So start learning more about ICD-11 - there will be a lot of teaching opportunities out there!

Orlando, Florida

Default Janet...Thank you

We have been thinking about delving into ICD-11. However, we haven't heard anything official about its implementation. So we are currently focused on ICD-10 CM. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Default Icd 11

This system has not been implemented and it is not close to production as I understand it. Everyone is still using ICD-10. If you look at the number of codes that were added to ICD-9 for October you can see that we are out of space. It is not that difficult a system to learn. I think possibly the only issue will be knowledge of anatomy.

Question ICD-10 and physicians

I know that many of the developed western countries are already on ICD-10. While I agree with the AAPC's stance that 10/1/11 does not give the industry enough time to prepare for a transition from ICD9 to ICD10, I believe there is another point to be considered and that adds weight to the Academy's argument. If I am not mistaken, in those countries where ICD10 is the diagnostic coding standard, physicians in their private practices are not using ICD10. If I'm right (and I may not be), there are liable to be issues that will arise that cannot be anticipated if we are to be the first country to require this; especially since for the most part a physician will not be paid for his/her services without an accurate diagnostic code.
    Does anyone know if I'm way off base here? Are there other countries in which the physician uses ICD10 in his day-to-day office practice?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast