AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICD-10 Discussion

Default ICD-10 Discussion

AAPC: Back to School
    ICD-10 is a diagnostic coding system implemented by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1993 to replace ICD-9, which was developed by WHO in the 1970s. ICD-10 is in almost every country in the world, except the United States -- but it is coming. Add your voice to the discussion.

Learn More about ICD-10

Default We do not need icd-10

We do not need icd-10. Quite simply--the cost of implementation will bankrupt small hospital facilities and will create mass confusion in the health industry. thank you

Louisville, KY

With all due respect, those predicted events did not occur when we transitioned from ICD-8 to ICD-9. The industry has weathered these transitions before, it's just that there aren't a lot of folks around who were "coders" from that era.

Also, don't you think that such a transition would ultimately be reflected in our paychecks and professional respect?

Just my thoughts, anyhow.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Kansas City, Missouri

Cool Ic-10 Good & Bad

Not to be totally focused on myself and not how it will affect providers, hospitals, billing companies, etc., but at least there will be lots of overtime available! I'm sure that when this is implemented everyone is going to be so busy trying to learn it that the work is going to fall wwaaayyy behind. I code around 130-140 Anesthesia charts a day and I can only imagine what kind of impact it will have on MY production.

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.
    Candy Souders, CPC, ACS-AN
    Lead Coder
    CBIZ Medical Management Professionals
    11440 Tomahawk Creek Pkwy
    Leawood, KS 66211
    (913) 234-1280 Phone
    (913) 234-1108 Fax

Stuart Sailfish Chapter

I totally agree with you Kev,We are Coders !!! we can do this. Our job is all about challenges !
    Candice Fenildo, CPC, CPMA, CPB, CENTC, CPC-I
    AAPC Chapter Association Board of Directors ( Chair)
    Region 6, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio

"Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer"

Anyone have a clue WHEN it is coming? Also should a coder began learning now? If so where? I've been reading up on this and it seems Congress keeps putting it off. I do think it will happen, it's just when............

I'm actually looking forward to implementing ICD-10. Yes, it will take a while to get as proficient as ICD-9 - but it will give us more specificity and elevate our demographics to new levels in medicine. It will push us into having a deeper understanding of what we're coding - plus, it'll give us something new to sink our teeth into.

Cheers to the future!
    Jason Steeprow, CPC

My opinion...it is what it is. When it happens it will be mandatory, so why not be positive about it

Question Icd-11

I Went To A Meeting Recently And Heard That It Is Possible We Could Blow Right Past Icd10 And Pick Up With Icd 11 I Believe This Is What They Use In Europe.

Louisville, KY

I think that ICD-10 is going to be a great change, especially for those of us with Coding Credentials. This will solidify our profession in the Healthcare field. It will make us more valuable and needed in even greater numbers. Why should we fear something that will produce more dependence on Coders. I personally don't see it as being something that will be hard. Change is always good when it helps us to grow and succeed. Im looking forward to see the value of Coders nationwide increase, its something we deserve.
    Anthony Bush, CPC
    Coding Compliance Analyst

"Learn to Love your work and you will never have to work again."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast