"if a single lesion is biopsied but not excised, use only the biopsy code."
"If a biopsy of a lesion is obtained and the remaining portion of the same lesion is then excised, code only for the excision"
"If multiple biopsies are obtained(from the same or different lesions) and none of the lesions are excised, use only the biopsy code and list it once."
"if a biopsy and an excision are performed, use both codes when the biopsy is taken from a different lesion than that which is excised, and the code for the excision does not include the phrase "with or without biopsy". if such a phrase is included, do not use a separte biopsy code".
The information was taken from the FASA 2004 Effective Coding for ASCs. Hope this helps!!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join