AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Tran septal puncture

Question Tran septal puncture

AAPC: Back to School
    I am new to Cardiology Coding and have a Physician stating they did a tran septal puncure. I cannot locate a corresponding CPT code for this procedure. Can anyone tell me what they use to bill for this? Thank you.

Rose City Chapter

Without reading the procedure report it is hard to tell, but I might start with 93524,"Combined transseptal and retrograde left heart catheterization ".

Then I might look at 93526 "Combined right heart catheterization and transseptal left heart catheterization through intact septum (with or without retrograde left heart catheterization" there are also codes for going through an already open septum...depending on whether or not this was done for a patient with a congenital defect it would go from there (see 93532 and 93533).

You can see why it is important to have the procedure report to compare because it varies not only with procedure but why they did it.

I hope this helps?? jan

Similar Threads

1. old septal fracture
    By rowland in forum ENT/Otolaryngology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
  2. Septal Defect
    By amylis1 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM
  3. Atrial Septal Defect Closure with Transseptal Puncture
    By leahlhaynie in forum Cardiology