I do not see in the original post that the meniscal tear is degenerative in nature so I'm curious as to why are you choosing a degenerative code?
The tricompartment degenerative arthritis would not be sufficient enough evidence to code the meniscal tear as degenerative.
If the doctor does not state that the meniscal tear is degenerative in nature, then you would use 836.0.
Unfortunately none of us (except Rie of course) have the "full" documentation to support which code to use 717.2 vs 836.0
Mary, CPC, COSC
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join