AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Audit Tool Requested

Default Audit Tool Requested

AAPC: Back to School
    We are in the process of revamping our audit program and would like to know if anyone has an audit tool for anesthesiology. Code selection is done by the coders rather than billing providers. Any and all input is appreciated.

Lincoln, NE

Are we talking about pre-submission (coding/data entry) or post-pay (coding/data entry/payment) audits?

Julie, CPC

These are prospective audits, pre-submission.

Lincoln, NE

Our pre-submission audits are done manually by the coders. Our coders, myself being one of them, code out AND data enter the charges. We rotate "claims" days and the coder that does claims for that day audits the previous days charges. We are a group of 40+ anesthesia providers so it's a time consuming but necessary task. With this procedure in place it means that every claim that is generated has been looked at by a coder at least twice. This is not a fool proof method but it's the best I have come up with. Thankfully, our billing program is very automated and we enter charges by the CPT codes with full CPT descriptors (versus the ASA codes) which I feel assists the coders when a CPT code does not cross to an anatomically appropriate ASA code and prompts them to check their coding.

Post-pay audits are done by me randomly and as problems arise.

So I don't have an "auditing tool" for you. Are there any auditing capabilities within your billing program that could assist you?

Julie, CPC
    Last edited by jdrueppel; 02-26-2009 at 09:43 PM.