10-09-2017, 04:22 AM | Community Wiki

Lower Lobe Pneumonia vs. Lobar Pneumonia

1. Question Lower Lobe Pneumonia vs. Lobar Pneumonia
    Exam Training Packages
    I have a case of some debate. The MD finial Dx was "Left lower lobe pneumonia". In ICD -9 -- yes, I know we aren't using that anymore but hear me out. In ICD-9 there was a coding clinic 1985 March-April page 6 that states:

Question:
    Is pneumonia of the right lower lobe the same as lobar pneumonia?

Answer:
    No. The diagnosis of right lower lobe pneumonia without further specification as to type of pneumonia or the specific organism involved is coded 486. The entry in the first printing of the Alphabetic Index for Pneumonia, lobe-see Pneumonia, lobar - should be deleted from the Alphabetic Index. lobar pneumonia is a synonym (interchangeable term) for pneumococcal pneumonia, 481.

Is this something that we are continuing in ICD-10? The only reference I and two of my colleges can find to Lobar pneumonia is in Nelly when Lobar pneumonia is the finial and how to code it with or without mention of infecting organism.

Using AAPCs own ICD-9 to ICD-10 code translator:
    486 is J18.9 Pneumonia, unspecified
    481 is J13 pneumonia due to Strep and J18.1 Lobar pneumonia, unspecified organism

How would you code "Left Lower lobe pneumonia" please site reasons and preferably documentation of guideline.

Thanks,
    Amanda K. Coder 1 COC, CCA

Similar Threads

1. Pneumonia with cavitation
    By Hernf in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 06:26 AM
  2. Hx Pneumonia
    By jaime9543 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 07:05 AM
  3. perihilar pneumonia