AAPC - Back to school

Thread: EM Question Please Explain

Default EM Question Please Explain

AAPC: Back to School
    I am having problems with EM questions where I am provided with the info and need to decide what code to select. [If somebody can please help me understand this I would be grateful. [/B] This is the question along with the answer and why it is this answer. I do not get it.

Jenny returned to Dr. Hinder five years after her last visit. She rendered herself for eczema that had progressed. Dr. Hinder performed a comprehensive exam and a detailed history. The documentation for the encounter indicated multiple management options a moderate amount of data to be reviewed and a high risk of complications. What level should you report?
    a. 99202
    b. 99203
    c. 99204
    d. 99205
    The correct answer is B

This is the rational that was provided to me by the computer and I am extremely confused. Rationale new pt has not been seen in three years who presents for a office visit. The DR meets or exceeds three of these requirements to bill for this level. This level requires a detailed history a detailed exam and low complexity medical decesion making.

According to the scenario it says multiple management options which would which would be multiple. A moderate amount of data to be review which would be moderate. And a high risk of complication which would equal HC.
    I thought you needed to come up with 2 out of three criteria for MDM. How does Multiple, Moderate, High risk would you come up with Low Complexity Decesion Making.

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong but if somebody can explain this to be in simple terms I would be grateful. I realize their must be a easy way to go about this but I am having major difficulties.

Eddie Sottong

Harrisonville, MO

For a new patient you must have 3 of the 3 requirements, and not having seen the physician in over 3 years would make it a new patient, because the "multiple" and "moderate" doesn't mean conclusively that it is comprehensive then I would have also chosen the 99203. I hope that's somewhat helpful.

Duluth, Minnesota

Eddie, I agree - given the information that the MDM would be "moderate" - however when you take into account ALL THREE components of the E/M
    for new patient (or consult) you have to have 3 of the 3 elements - since they have a:
    Detailed HISTORY
    Comprehensive EXAM
    Moderate MDM
    you end up with a NEW PATIENT level 3 (99203) because the COMPREHENSIVE EXAM & MODERATE MDM elements gets dropped down to the next level (they only have a DETAILED History component).. so straight across it ends up to equals DET/History - DET/Exam - LOW/MDM (3 of 3 components).(even though you do have a higher EXAM/MDM)

clear is mud?... hope this helps...
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

North Carolina

Maybe this link will help. If you click on each blue link, it goes into further explanation.

Milwaukee WI

Default Detailed History

The simple answer to your question is that because you only have a DETAILED HISTORY, the highest level you can choose is 99203.

It's not that your MDM was at a low level, it's that the detailed history pulled all the work down to a level 3 because for a new patient you must meet or exceed all three levels.

Just remember for a new patient (or Hospital Admit, or Consultation) the lowest element will dictate the level of service you can code.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC