AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Ultrasound & Noninvasive Vascular Studies

Kansas City, MO

Question Ultrasound & Noninvasive Vascular Studies

AAPC: Back to School
    I am very new to the world of ultrasound and am in need of some guidance. Currently our staff codes and bills for everything looked at during a study. For example. A doctor orders an ultrasound of the kidneys, during that exam they will also view the vascular components therefore they will bill:

76770 - Ultrasound, retroperitoneal; complete
    93976 - Duplex scan of arterial inflow and venous outflow of abdominal....; limited study

Since they cannot complete the 76770 without doing the 93976 is this coding correct? I am wondering if they should only be billing for the 76770?

Also if you have any recommendations on seminars for this specialty that would be wonderful!

A complete retroperitoneal US (76770) consists of kidneys and bladder if related to urinary symptoms or it can be complete if the kidneys, abdominal aorta, common iliac artery origins and inferior vena cava are documented.

If the physician goes on to document the vascular in-flow and out-flow of the kidneys, it is appropriate to add the duplex scan (93975-93976) To be a complete duplex, all related major arteries and veins must be documented. For example, if only the arteries are mentioned, it would be limited.

Default Coging 76870 and 93976 icd-9

Please, somebody help me to add more information regarding
    the additional dx for 93976, i select by physician order
    593.81 vascular insufficiency and now can i add 608..83
    is both valid icd-9 for 76870 and 93976 ?????

Similar Threads

1. 93924 Noninvasive physiologic studies
    By loyalty in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 02:31 PM
  2. Noninvasive Vascular Diagnostic Studies
    By girlcoder in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
  3. U/s vascular studies of extremities
    By Jim Pawloski in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1