No, we don't use these codes ... but ...
Read the guidelines carefully:
"These codes are used to report episodes of care by the qualified health care professional initiated by an established patient or guardian of an established patient." (emphasis added by FTB) - from CPT 2009 Professional edition page 444.
The codes is described as "Telephone assessment and management service provided ... to an established patient ..." (emphasis added by FTB) - same source.
The nurse calling in an Rx to the pharmacy does not seem to fit these descriptors.
To my knowledge no carrier pays for these services.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join