09-21-2017, 02:23 AM | Community Wiki

Diagnosis E78.00 please help

Default Diagnosis E78.00 please help
    Exam Training Packages
    We are getting denials now for the Diagnosis E78.00 Pure Hypercholesterolemia which is what we use when our patients have high total Cholesterol. And also a high LDL. Since ICD-10 has this as an unspecified code some carriers are denying this, what I would like to know is what code/codes are other offices using when this is what the patient is diagnosed with. There is E78.1, E78.2 and so on with a list of descriptions under each code but we are finding it hard to determine what fits best.

I hope I have presented my question clearly any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Tina

Default E78.00
    I see no one has replied. Did you ever find out the answer to your question? Our system put an edit in place not to use as a primary code probably because of getting denials.

3. Default
    Curious if you are still getting many denials for this. E78.00 should be able to be listed as primary. I saw that the original post was in December 2016. I wonder if some denials were because of the catch up from e78.0 to e78.00 that took effect in October of that year.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 08:43 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 02:50 PM
  3. R73.01 impaired glucose and e78.5 hyperlipidemia
    By lennysara in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2015, 12:03 PM
  4. Hyperlipidemia (E78.5) and Hyperglycemia (R73.9)
    By amoskovich in forum ICD-10
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM
  5. History of/late effects of diagnosis vs acute injury diagnosis
    By debiwill in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 09:03 AM