AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint Injections

Oil City

AAPC: Back to School
    A simple way to possibly remember for the knee injections is that if they came in and it was not determined prior to the visit that an injection was to be done you could bill the E/M (if provided and significant). If the patient is coming in for an established treatment plan of injections you would not bill an E/M unless the patient encountered additional problems etc.

does this help?
    Rhonda Buckholtz, CPC, CPC-I, CGSC, COBGC, CEPDC, CENTC
    Vice President, ICD-10
    800-626-2633 ext 183
    Fax: 814-217-0447

Red face Injection with E/M- Orthopedics

Thank you very much! This information has helped me to understand this more clearly.

North Carolina

This was taken directly from Medicare's website:

If the diagnosis referenced for the E&M service and the procedure are the same it would be expected that the diagnosis is for a new sign or symptom and not related to signs or symptoms treated in the recent past. For example, an established patient has been treated for fibrositis eight months ago and now returns with a sore area in the upper back. The physician evaluates the patient and decides that the painful area represents a new trigger point, and should be injected with a steroid and the injection is given. The decision to treat the new sign or symptom can not be made until the evaluation is completed and thus the -25 modifier should be placed on the E&M service

are there anymore legit links with regards to this topic? i can't find it anywhere else. something more up to date? thanks.

Default Two joints injected

We performed a fluoroscopic guided injection of two joints in the foot, talonavicular joint and navicular cuneform joint with 40 mg of Kenalog.....is is to correct to bill

20605 x 2
    j3301 x 4

Default Administration for the Injections

Do i have to bill 96372 for the Injections?

Columbia, MO

For a Joint injection??? Never, 96372 is for administration of IM or SQ, 20600-20610 is administration of joint injections

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default Administrations for the Drugs

What about the administration for the J3301 , J2001? Can i bill 96372 as the administrations for those codes? We are billing the 20610 but before performing the service we have to put those injections and i want to know if i bill the 96372. Also if there are 2 drugs injected how many units do i use for the administration?

Example: 99205 ,96372 ( How many units? ), J7799 ,J2001, J3301 ,99070 and 20610.

North Carolina

Couple of issues I can quickly identify... J2001. This is not billable. The method of administration is through IV not through a shot. Another possible issue...99205. This requires a comprehensive history and exam and medical decision making of high complexity. Were there other issues/problems addressed during this visit other than the need for a "joint injection"?

Default Correct process

It looks like it is for the evaluation before doing the 20610. Just to be clear one more time. I don´t have to bill 9372 because J injections are given through IV. Please clarify.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast