Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

infusion or hydration

Post infusion or hydration
    Exam Training Packages
    I am learning to code E/M and ER charges. I am having a problem knowing what is an infusion or just an IV or hydration. Is there a site or anything out there that can tell me what was given is an infusion or hydration? For example all I get is: D5 and the route is IV and total infusion is done in so much time. D5 does not tell me anything. Is there a book or web site or software that could help me to understand? Any suggestion please!!!!!!

2. Default Hang in There
    IV hydration and IV infusions are hard. If you will contact me via email I will get back to you when I get to work on Monday and give you a cheat sheet that has the guidelines. I have attended several webinars and spent the last two years reading everything I could get my hands on and the girls in my office wrote up our cheat sheet and i think it will help you. FYI. D5 is a type of fluid that they are hanging in a bag so what you are currently dealing with is a hydration. If they are talking about a medicine you will need to know whether or not they are administering it via IV Push or Piggyback to determine how to code the infusions and hydrations. PM me and I will get back to you. Suzette.

I sent you a private message and gave you my e-mail address. Any help you can give me is very much appreciated. Thank you again srburk.

4. Default
    can you please send me all the information you have regarding infusion and hydration guidlines. we are really confuse on how to code these and get proper reimbusersement. thanks in advance. rgzeeryp

5. Default Infusion Confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by srburk View Post
    IV hydration and IV infusions are hard. If you will contact me via email I will get back to you when I get to work on Monday and give you a cheat sheet that has the guidelines. I have attended several webinars and spent the last two years reading everything I could get my hands on and the girls in my office wrote up our cheat sheet and i think it will help you. FYI. D5 is a type of fluid that they are hanging in a bag so what you are currently dealing with is a hydration. If they are talking about a medicine you will need to know whether or not they are administering it via IV Push or Piggyback to determine how to code the infusions and hydrations. PM me and I will get back to you. Suzette.
    Can you please include me in on that FRI cheatsheet I am having the same misunderstanding of that procedure and whether to add the J7030/J7050 and J7613 or A4216/A4217???....Help@ctodicheeney@yahoo.com
    Last edited by ctodicheeney; 04-21-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Left something out

me too please. scramer@colmtmed.com

7. Default Me as well. cobin@partners.org
    Me as well. cobin@partners.org

Would you please send me a cc of the cheat sheet?

FYI D5 is a shorten term meaning D5W which is a 5% dextrose solution in water and is oftern given as a primary fluid for hydration but only to non diabetics, NS is a normal Saline solution also hung as a primary solution for hydration. To code IV hydration first of all you need a dx to support hydration, sometimes a primary fluid is hung just to KVO which is keep vein open , this is not for hydration purposes it is for convenience should they decide to push a drug or a secondary solution. Interqual criteria states to be therapeutic the rate must be at least 125cc per hour, otherwise it is for convenience. I always tell my students when coding for infusions, remeber the codes come as initial and subsequent types you can charge only one initial service if only one vein is accessed. So you may have initial therapeutic infusion then if the situation changes and they decide to hydrate the patient you would use subsequent hydration. If 2 veins are accessed then you will need a 59 modifier to charge for 2 inital services. I hope this helps to clear up some of it.

Thumbs up
    I too, would love to see a copy of your "cheat sheet!":

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast