Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Strut changes?

Medical Coding Books
    The only way you can capture this is IF your office actually purchased the strut fromthe vendor and carried it to the operating room. Usually the vendors supply the facilities with these. The facilities pay for them and charge out to the carrier.

2. Default
    We do the strut changes in the clinic.
    No anesthesia, no facilities fee.
    Usually part of a follow up visit but not always.

On another note.
    What if a patient comes in for a follow up and requires full modification of their turning schedule?
    This happens often enough for me to inquire.
    It requires going into Smith & Nephew's TSF website and time consuming input of parameters to produce a new turning schedule.

3. Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by mbort View Post
    The only way you can capture this is IF your office actually purchased the strut fromthe vendor and carried it to the operating room. Usually the vendors supply the facilities with these. The facilities pay for them and charge out to the carrier.
    WE still haven't established IF the cost of the strut is inclusive of the CPT code.

I see nothing in the description that says the stut is included in the procedure.

Assuming the strut is included it like assuming the guy you buy your new tires from is including the valve stems mounting and balancing.
    That usually costs extra.

Sorry guys,......I love analogies......

The cost of the supply is not included in the CPT. Since your office is purchasing the supply, you may bill it with the appropriate HCPCS code to the carrier

5. Default
    Back to (part of) my original question.
    Does anyone know what the HCPCS code is for the strut?
    and...are you ABSOLUTELY SURE the strut isn't included in the CPT code?
    I'd love to know where I can find this info in black and white.
    Being a new code, I can understand it not being etched in stone but I'm sure there has to be some reference to the new codes somewhere.

L8699

7. Default
    L-8699? That's the unlisted code for an implant.
    Struts aren't implantable.

I think this is going to be one of those cases where I'm going to cause headaches for everyone involved.

I'll see if our billers will bill it as unlisted and see what kind of trouble it stirs up.

8. Default Strut changes on a Taylor spatial frame
    My doc is doing a strut change for leg length discrepancy which is 20697, is there a HCPCS code for the actual Strut?
    Last edited by Jsillaway; 03-28-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12