Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strut changes?

1. Default Strut changes?
    Medical Coding Books
    Does anyone know if struts are includied in the 20697 code or is there a seperate code for the billing of the strut?

2. Default
    20697 is for removal and replacement of each strut. So I would say there is not a separate code.

3. Default
    So the cost of the strut is included in this code?

Just wanted to clarify because I'm not finding anything written that specifically states whether the strut is inclusive.
    Most of the CPT I use don't include supplies.
    They have a separate L,J or Q code in addition to the CPT code.

I do about 30-35 strut changes a week and have to figure out how to code this properly.

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mksmith713 View Post
    So the cost of the strut is included in this code?

Just wanted to clarify because I'm not finding anything written that specifically states whether the strut is inclusive.
    Most of the CPT I use don't include supplies.
    They have a separate L,J or Q code in addition to the CPT code.

I do about 30-35 strut changes a week and have to figure out how to code this properly.
    Yeah I would say it is included because for that code it specifically says your removing one strut and replacing it with another strut at the same time.
    If it just said removal of strut then I would say there should be another code for the placement, but this code includes the placement.
    Pretty much its an even exchange.
    I hope I explained it good.

5. Default
    I can see where you're coming from but the reason I'm questioning whether the strut is inclusive is because I have other procedures I code where everything is seperately coded...for example..... 15002,15400 and Q-4102
    If you look it up, 15400 says,"xenograft,skin (dermal), for temporary wound closure,trunk,arms,legs, first 100 sq cm or less.
    This (15400) is the code I for the application of the xenograft,not the xenograft itself. I also code FOR the xenograft itself with Q-4102 per sq cm.

So, can you see where I'm questioning the strut change code?
    It's not totally out of the question that the strut itself may be seperately coded.

Default So, do you need a SUPPLY code?
    MK ... I don't have the answer to your question, but ...

Are you asking for is the supply code for the strut, and whether that is separately billable?

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

7. Default
    I'm asking whether 20697 is the CPT code for the removal and replacement of the strut (procedure) only....
    and is there a seperate HCPCS code for the strut itself?
    or is the strut included in the 20697 CPT code?

8. Default
    Sorry.....
    Yes, my question is........is the strut separately billable?

who are you billing or coding for (doc, ASC, hosp)?

10. Default
    Private group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast