Results 1 to 6 of 6

Medicare Bundling Cystocele/Rectocele

  1. #1
    Exclamation Medicare Bundling Cystocele/Rectocele
    Exam Training Packages
    Recently it was brought to our attention by Medicare that we have been coding Cystocele/Rectocele incorrectly. We are not 100% with Medicare’s decision but are unable to find any thing to the contrary. Here is the scenario:

    The OB physician and the Urology physician go in as Co-surgeons. One does the Cystocele, completes the procedure and leaves. The other then begins the Rectocele, completes the procedure and leaves. They are not assisting with each others procedure, they are doing their own separate procedure. Therefore, one provider bills 57240-62 & the other bills 57250-62. However, Medicare says this is unbundling procedure 57260. Is it considered unbundling when it is two different specialties?

    The description for 57260 says "combined anteroposterior colporrhaphy" stating the physician does both the cysto & recto but it does not specify two different physicians. I cannot find where it says two different specialties cannot bill each procedure separate. Can any one help me with this?
    Last edited by hstefani; 03-12-2009 at 03:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Default co surgery
    Quote Originally Posted by hstefani View Post
    Recently it was brought to our attention by Medicare that we have been coding Cystocele/Rectocele incorrectly. We are not 100% with Medicare's decision but are unable to find any thing to the contrary. Here is the scenario:

    The OB physician and the Urology physician go in as Co-surgeons. One does the Cystocele, completes the procedure and leaves. The other then begins the Rectocele, completes the procedure and leaves. They are not assisting with each others procedure, they are doing their own separate procedure. Therefore, one provider bills 57240-62 & the other bills 57250-62. However, Medicare says this is unbundling procedure 57260. Is it considered unbundling when it is two different specialties?

    The description for 57260 says "combined anteroposterior colporrhaphy" stating the physician does both the cysto & recto but it does not specify two different physicians. I cannot find where it says two different specialties cannot bill each procedure separate. Can any one help me with this?
    Have you tried billing the 57260 for both physicians with a 62 modifier? Or not using the 62 modifier at all?
    According to my modifier book Coding with modifiers third edition, page 187;

    "If two surgeons (each in a different specialty) are required to perform a specific procedure, each surgeon bills for the procedure with a modifier 62. Co-surgery also refers to surgical procedures involving two surgeons performing the parts of the procedure simultaneously (heart transplant or bilateral knee replacements). Documentation of the medical necessity for two surgeons is required for certain services identified in the MFSDB. (see publication 100-4)
    If surgeons of different specialties each perform a different procedure (with specific CPT codes), neither co-surgery nor multiple surgery rules apply, even if the procedures are performed through the same incision."


    Hope this helps a little.

  3. #3
    Location
    ENGLEWOOD/DENVER
    Posts
    2,338
    Default
    since they are both doing to seperate procedures and dictating there own reports for only the procedure they performed, then its my understanding that you would bill only for the procedure that your surgeon performed without the 62 modifier. The 62 modifier would be if they were both helping each other for both of the procedures.

  4. #4
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    4,466
    Default Medicare is right
    You wouldn't code the two procedures separately if one surgeon performed them both, so you shouldn't code the two procedures when you have co-surgeons each doing a distinct part. CPT clearly tells us that if two surgeons perform distinct part(s) of the same procedure then you bill the procedure w/ a -62 modifier for each surgeon.

    In this case you have code 57260 which combines the two distinct procedures performed by these two specialists. You would not unbundle this code but would bill out 57260-62 for each of the surgeons.

    The use of the-62 modifier does still require each surgeon to dictate a separate operative note specifying what portion of the procedure s/he performed.

    Another reason you wouldn't code these out as two separate procedures (one for each surgeon) is that you don't have two separate opening and closing of the operative field.

    Hope that helps.

    F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

  5. #5
    Default
    57260 is where this issue started. They were billing this way to begin with, but were told to start billing their own procedure, not the combined.

    Thanks for your help. I need any information I can get at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Weaver View Post
    Have you tried billing the 57260 for both physicians with a 62 modifier? Or not using the 62 modifier at all?
    According to my modifier book Coding with modifiers third edition, page 187;

    "If two surgeons (each in a different specialty) are required to perform a specific procedure, each surgeon bills for the procedure with a modifier 62. Co-surgery also refers to surgical procedures involving two surgeons performing the parts of the procedure simultaneously (heart transplant or bilateral knee replacements). Documentation of the medical necessity for two surgeons is required for certain services identified in the MFSDB. (see publication 100-4)
    If surgeons of different specialties each perform a different procedure (with specific CPT codes), neither co-surgery nor multiple surgery rules apply, even if the procedures are performed through the same incision."


    Hope this helps a little.

  6. #6
    Default
    Good point about the opening and closing...I think that will help build our case with the providers. There is some resistance from them with this change. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by FTessaBartels View Post
    You wouldn't code the two procedures separately if one surgeon performed them both, so you shouldn't code the two procedures when you have co-surgeons each doing a distinct part. CPT clearly tells us that if two surgeons perform distinct part(s) of the same procedure then you bill the procedure w/ a -62 modifier for each surgeon.

    In this case you have code 57260 which combines the two distinct procedures performed by these two specialists. You would not unbundle this code but would bill out 57260-62 for each of the surgeons.

    The use of the-62 modifier does still require each surgeon to dictate a separate operative note specifying what portion of the procedure s/he performed.

    Another reason you wouldn't code these out as two separate procedures (one for each surgeon) is that you don't have two separate opening and closing of the operative field.

    Hope that helps.

    F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 07:59 PM
  2. ICD-9 code for Cystocele w/ Rectocele
    By lulubelle2004 in forum Urology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 05:01 PM
  4. Medicare Bundling
    By JJ in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 11:18 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.