I understand your hesitancy in that the patient "wasn't supposed to come to the ED."
Code what the documentation supports by your ED physician. If it's critical care, then you would use 99291-92 (depending on time). If not critical care then use appropriate ER visit codes.
You SHOULD get paid for the service provided. It seems from your brief description that this was clearly medically necessary care.
Hope that helps. Good luck.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join