AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Add On Codes

Default Add On Codes

AAPC: Back to School
    I was under the impression that under no circumstances could you use a add on code + for your principal procedure. I have been studying and doing practice exams and discovered that this is not the case.

A example of this would be assigning only one CPT code to a question and the code assigned is a add on code. Can this be done? Is their only certain situations that you can use a add on code as the principal procedure?

If somebody can assist me getting past this sticky point that I am having I would apprecciate it.

Eddie Sottong

According to CPT, add-on codes are always reported with a primary service or procedure and are never to be reported by themselves. Check out the introductory notes of your CPT book.

Are you saying that you found a question where the answer was only an add-on code?
    Pam Tienter, CPC, COC, CPC-P, CCS-P, CPMA, CPC-I
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer
    AAPC National ICD-10-CM Trainer

Similar Threads

1. Add On Codes
    By ljhollis in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 07:33 AM
  2. Add on codes
    By pajohnson in forum E/M
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM