Over 50% Off + FREE Exam with Certification Training | Learn More

Mdm help!!!

1. Default Mdm help!!!
    Medical Coding Books
    I Audit Hospitalist charges and need some clarification on "Parenteral controlled substance". On an H&P- The patient is there for abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting. HPI, ROS, PFSH, Exam- all Comprehensive. When you get to the MDM, the patient is diagnosed with diverticulitis (new problem) the provider puts the patient on IV antibiotics, IV dilaudid for pain, and orders more labs and a repeat colonoscopy, etc. (with additional workup)

I would give 4 points for the DX and mgmt options
    I gave him 2 points for data points- he reviewed and ordered labs, and reviewed a CT

Would you give this patient a high in the risk area for IV dilaudid since it falls under "parenteral controlled substance" on the table of risk and bill a 99223?

It's a little hard to judge definitively without seeing the documentation and the physician's assessment of the patient's condition and prognosis, but based just on what you've said you're auditing looks correct and I would agree that this qualifies as high risk and meets the criteria for a 99223.
    Thomas Field, CPC, CEMC

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas7331 View Post
    It's a little hard to judge definitively without seeing the documentation and the physician's assessment of the patient's condition and prognosis, but based just on what you've said you're auditing looks correct and I would agree that this qualifies as high risk and meets the criteria for a 99223.
    Thank you. Without the IV dilaudid, I would think this the visit supports more of a moderate MDM with diverticulitis being an acute illness/problem. I'm hearing conflicting statements about if CMS will consider this high risk based solely on the IV dilaudid because the presenting problem is moderate risk. I'm having trouble finding anything in writing to support that.

I agree with your line of thinking on this. I don't think you'll find anything in writing from CMS that goes to that level of detail on E&M auditing, though some of the individual MACs do have good Q&A on their web sites that gives you a clue into how they see these things. Also, the key here is not the level of risk of the presenting problem, but the medical necessity of the total level of service to treat that problem that CMS is concerned about, and that's largely a clinical determination. From a purely coding standpoint, if you're following your audit guidelines and can point to elements in the documentation to support an appeal to explain why you chose the code that you did, then you're doing your job correctly.
    Thomas Field, CPC, CEMC

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas7331 View Post
    I agree with your line of thinking on this. I don't think you'll find anything in writing from CMS that goes to that level of detail on E&M auditing, though some of the individual MACs do have good Q&A on their web sites that gives you a clue into how they see these things. Also, the key here is not the level of risk of the presenting problem, but the medical necessity of the total level of service to treat that problem that CMS is concerned about, and that's largely a clinical determination. From a purely coding standpoint, if you're following your audit guidelines and can point to elements in the documentation to support an appeal to explain why you chose the code that you did, then you're doing your job correctly.
    I agree. Thank you.