My first reaction is No ... because the status of chronic conditions in the assessment/plan would be part of the MDM (no double dipping).
But then ... if you absolutely don't need the statement for any part of MDM ... I suppose you could count it towards HPI.
I have seen notes that are all just one long paragraph with no neatly identified subheadings to tell me where to count something. I get out my set of colored highlighters ... pink for HPI, green for ROS, yellow for PMFSH, purple for exam, and blue for MDM. The colors of highlight can be (and frequently are) mixed up on the page, as long as I'm not double dipping, I feel okay about the level of service.
Just thinking out loud here ... Does that help?
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join