Stumped!!

Default Stumped!!
    Medical Coding Books
    My dr did a medial meniscectomy 29881 along with a lateral debridement 29877-59. These were the codes he sent....

but when i read on he did a "bone grafting of the femoral tibial tunnel using allograft cancellous bone and also did a bone aspiration for the graft before 'reaming the tunnel'. I want to add 38220 but I also want to add, if possible, a code for the bone grafting of the tibial tunnel.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what CPT might best describe this garfting???

Thanks..

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post
    My dr did a medial meniscectomy 29881 along with a lateral debridement 29877-59. These were the codes he sent....

but when i read on he did a "bone grafting of the femoral tibial tunnel using allograft cancellous bone and also did a bone aspiration for the graft before 'reaming the tunnel'. I want to add 38220 but I also want to add, if possible, a code for the bone grafting of the tibial tunnel.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what CPT might best describe this garfting???

Thanks..
    Hello, I would say 20902 for the bone graft. I wouldn't bill 38220 for the aspiration. I say that is inclusive.
    Also, not sure about your payers, but my payers pay for G0289 instead of 29877 when billed out with another procedure.
    Any other suggestions out there??

3. Default
    Agreed about G0289. None of our payers pay for 29877 when billed with other procedures within the same case. If 29877 is the only procedure, then that will be paid. But in this case you need to use G0289.

I understand the G code...it's if I can bill out the grafting for the tibial tunnels. I've been having a hard time searching for a correct CPT code that describes the procedure.

If not I will just bill out the other 2 procedures. Thanks..

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post
    I understand the G code...it's if I can bill out the grafting for the tibial tunnels. I've been having a hard time searching for a correct CPT code that describes the procedure.

If not I will just bill out the other 2 procedures. Thanks..
    Look back at my previous response and see if that code will work for the bone graft. (20902)

THANKS FOR THE 20902 BUT HE USED AN ALLOGRAFT AND USED THE SCOPE TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE. THAT'S WHY I'M STUMPED WITH THIS PROCEDURE...

after reading it again i have a feeling the dr was doing this to prepare for a future ACL revision...i emailed to confirm but now that's what I think...could be wrong though...