Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Metatarsal #5 resection

Default Metatarsal #5 resection
    Exam Training Packages
    I would like some help coding this. The Dr's report reads:
    We began by taking off the #5 toe. We grasped the toe with a towel clip and resected with a 15-blade at the MP joint level. When this was completed we resected with sagittal saw the #5 metatarsal bone proximally.
    I'm not sure what code to use for the resection of the metatarsal resection. I'm thinking 28122, but the assistan surgeon's office is stating 28308.
    Any ideas?

2. Default
    I used to work for a Podiatrist and I would code that as 28122. I agree with you.

Was this done in addition to an amputation? "We began by taking off the #5 toe".??

Quote Originally Posted by mbort View Post
    Was this done in addition to an amputation? "We began by taking off the #5 toe".??
    Yes it was. Would that change the code?

Quote Originally Posted by madrake View Post
    Yes it was. Would that change the code?
    I believe so. I'm thinking that this may be just 28810 which is the resection of the metatarsal w.toe.

what code are you using for the amputation portion?

Mary,CPC, COSC

I believe so. I'm thinking that this may be just 28810 which is the resection of the metatarsal w.toe.

what code are you using for the amputation portion?

Mary,CPC, COSC
    I would think that code 28810 would be a complete amputation of the metatarsal and not just a resection? I used code 28820 for the toe amputation, because it was at the metatarsophalangeal joint. My thinking is that code does not include any removal of the metatarsal. This seems to me like it should be easy to code, but I always question if I'm doing it correct.

I would think that code 28810 would be a complete amputation of the metatarsal and not just a resection? I used code 28820 for the toe amputation, because it was at the metatarsophalangeal joint. My thinking is that code does not include any removal of the metatarsal. This seems to me like it should be easy to code, but I always question if I'm doing it correct.
    What about code 28813?

it gets really confusing I know. I dont see 28813???

The 28122 bundles with 28820 though, so you will only be able to capture the 28820.

it gets really confusing I know. I dont see 28813???

The 28122 bundles with 28820 though, so you will only be able to capture the 28820.
    Sorry, 28113 not 28813.

Sorry, 28113 not 28813.
    I think if the Dr amputates the toe at the metatarsophalangel joint I will code 28820 and not the resection of the metatarsal (since it seems to be bundled).
    If he just does a metatarsal resection with out the amputation, I'm going to use code code 28111-28114.
    Let me know if you agree. I really appreciate all of your help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast