What the neurosurgeon and vascular surgeon want isn't the same as what should be coded.
I think this should be accurately coded as a team (-66 modifier).
Each surgeon should dictate his/her own operative note describing the part s/he played in the total surgery.
You will have to coodinate with these other surgeons so that everyone uses the same basic code with -66 modifier (for example: 58957-66).
If either of the surgeons did some additional procedure from the basic procedure, s/he can code that separately (assuming it doesn't bundle).
I know that surgeons hate this ... but they can't expect to be paid a full fee if they didn't perform EVERYTHING associated with the surgery ... they relied on the general surgeon to open/close, so the team modifier seems appropriate.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join