AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Evaluation Code

Smile Evaluation Code

AAPC: Back to School
    If vitals were not taken during a particular visit would you still be able to consider an E & M code? I guess what I'm is can you still charge a evaluation code if vitals were not taken?

Duluth, Minnesota

short answer - yes

you can charge an E/M even if vitals aren't taken. Vitals are a "bullet" not a requirement. As long as documentation supports the 3 components of an E/M you can bill/code the E/M. Vitals aren't "always" taken. Other "bullets" are/can be marked under each component. (several to choose from)
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

I agree with dmaec.

However, if you do check the vitals, to meet the bullet requirement you must have 3/7 vital signs.

Milwaukee WI

Default 99211

99211 requires only a chief complaint. I know, everyone calls this a "nurse visit" ... but it can be coded for services provided by a physician, NP or PA (I'd talk to them about documentation and leaving money on the table if all they're giving me is a Chief complaint ... but that's another story.)

I also agree with Donna and AR ... vitals are just one of the bullet points in the exam. As long as you meet the required # of bullet points (in any combination) you can determine your level of exam, and code your E/M.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Similar Threads

1. Evaluation and Management Code and NCS 95913
    By valerie2424 in forum Neurology/Neurosurgery
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-01-2015, 09:53 AM
  2. CPT code for fitness for duty evaluation
    By bhanu.pratap in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 10:23 AM
  3. Electrodiagnostic Evaluation 2014 cpt code
    By jamills2008@yahoo.com in forum Neurology/Neurosurgery