I work for a large urology practice so we bill urinalysis all the time. An E&M and a urinalysis can be paid on the same day. We don't use modifiers when we bill both of these, with one exception. There is one insurance in particular where we have found that we need to use modifier -25 on the E&M in order to be paid for the u/a. Also, certain carriers will not pay on a u/a when we're billing level 4 of level 5 established E&M codes, or on consult codes. They end up bundling the u/a into the office visit. Hope this helps.
Zaida V. Aquino, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join