AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bundled Services

AAPC: Back to School
    Even though I do not agree with the use of this code, I do have clients who continually use it... Medicare certainly doesn't pay for it... the private insurers do sometimes... I think the charge is about 20 bucks and they pay about $5-$10

Default Coding and Billing for Pediatrics

In a coding audio seminar "Coding and Billing for Pediatrics", given by the AAPC last August, the presenter, Lisa Jensen, MHBL, CPC, recommended it's use. She indicated it could be used for paps and blood samples.

See also

According to this article from GI Practice Management News

Venipuncture/Specimen Handling— Though some insurance companies will attempt to bundle venipuncture and the collection and processing of specimens into the E/M service, many others will pay separately for these services. If you do not bill for laboratory services and you send blood and other specimens to an outside lab for processing and analysis, you should bill Medicare for the venipuncture using HCPCS G0001 and CPT 36415 for all commercial insurers. For the collection and handling of other non-blood fluids or tissue samples, use CPT 99000.

I know it comes out to a lot of revenue posted on our system, how much we actually are reimbursed and how much we have to write off is the next issue I guess. However, as coders, if a code exists for a procedure, arent we supposed to code it, regardless of reimbursement if it is justified by the documentation, unless it is bundled?

Heather Winters, CPC, CFPC

Kokomo, IN

Default 99000

This is funny! We were just having this very discussion this morning in the office. We recommended last year that this not be charged because the lab is owned by the hospital and our physicians are hospital employees. All expenses are incurred by the lab for supplies, they have a courier, etc. But, the article that came out in family practice coding alert Vol. 11 No. 5 2009 says it should be charged. They cite the CPT assistant Feb 1999 also as in a previous post. So, we discussed and decided to re-visit this issue. But, I'm still not convinced on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12