Is the physician providing a report of the study as well as performing the scan? If so what type of Physician is he? We bill these procedures out using the rendering provider as the ref provider because he is a vascular surgeon. If your physician is only doing the scan you may have to file with a TC modifier and the physician who reads the scan would file with the 26 modifier. In our case we do the scans in office therefore we don't file with a modifier because we are filing for the TC (technical component) and the 26/PC (professional component). When you file the claim without a modifier (TC or 26) you are claiming both components of the "global" package for the scan.
On the other hand when a patient is seen in the hospital and the scan is done there but sent to our physician to provide a report we file the same codes with a 26 modifier because we are not claiming the tech component as the hosp will file for that. In this case we are only claiming the professional component using the modifier 26.
Does that help?
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join