AAPC - Back to school

Thread: V72.6 for follow-up labs??

Default V72.6 for follow-up labs??

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm a new coder (just finishing the course....exam on April 4th!! yikes!! )and I work for a Bariatric Surgeon. He does a whole slew of regular labs every year following bariatric surgery (for the rest of their life). I've been using 579.3 and 579.9 as dx codes, because usually the pre-op dx codes don't apply any more (morbid obesity, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc.) because they've been resolved with the surgery. Because he does so many, it can be pretty expensive, and some insurances don't cover it. I'm wondering if using V72.6 would be appropriate and if it would help the patients get it covered? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks

New Orleans, LA

Default You're right

The pre-op codes don't appy anymore (hopefullY). If the patient's don't have any metabolic or nutritional issues, or any other symptoms, I think V45.86 is best, bariatric surgery status. They had bariatric surgery and these tests are being done to monitor that there are no undetected, adverse effects from it.

V72.6 is a very vague code. I would stay away from that one.

Smile Thanks

Thanks so much...that was very helpful. I never knew that code was available. I'll begin using it when I order labwork, along with the 579.3 and 579.9. You've been very helpful.

Similar Threads

1. Follow up visits for normal labs
    By clopez in forum E/M
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2015, 07:16 AM
  2. Unspecified hearing loss vs V72.12/V72.19
    By hthomson in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 06:03 PM
  3. V72.62 and Labs for Physical
    By dballard2004 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4