Question? Need help

Question Question? Need help
    Medical Coding Books
    OUR PRACTICE RECENTLY STARTED TO PUT IN PAIN PUMPS FOR KNEE AND SHOULDER SURGERY AND ALTHOUGH WE HAVE THE CODE FOR THE PUMP I CAN NOT FIND A CODE FOR THE INSERTION OF THE PUMP DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CODE TO USE? I WAS USING AN UNLISTED; HOWEVER SOME INS COMP WILL NOT ACCEPT THE UNLISTED ANY FEEDBACK WILL HELP.

2. Default
    More specific?

PCA, Epidural,etc?

Patient had a knee scope 29881 and we also put in a pain pump e0781 and we also bill for the insertion of the pain pump but for the insertion i could not find a code so i have been using the unlisted.
    But one ins carrier wants a separate code not the unlisted.
    Hope this in enough info .

AMA states "The placement of the pain pump/catheter during surgery in the operative site is not separately reported. The proper orthopedic procedure would include placement of the pain pump".

Per Medicare: Medicare considers post operative pain care provided by the surgeon to be part of the global surgical package (See claims processing manual, 100-4, Chap 12 section 140)

Mary, CPC,COSC
    Last edited by mbort; 03-24-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks for the advice.