Z79.890 Hormone Replacement Therapy(Postmenopausal) Gender Issue

Default Z79.890 Hormone Replacement Therapy(Postmenopausal) Gender Issue
    Medical Coding Books
    I work for an insurance company and I'm seeing this code submitted on claims for males. Any thoughts as to why? Poor coding and misuse? Used for conditions other than postmenopausal like testosterone depletion? Let me know your thoughts why this would be justified for males.

2. Lightbulb
    Hopefully, you are not seeing this come to you as a principal Dx or a stand alone Dx. It should be used with an additional code to give some background on the reasoning for it. However in scouring the ICD-10 book and online research I am also having a difficult time locating a code that is purely for male replacement hormones. You are correct that the Z79.890 is purely a female related code. The best code that I could think to use for the male hormone therapy would be the Z79.899 (Other long term (current) drug therapy, with a supporting Dx. Hope this helps!

3. Default
    I noticed in the optum360 books and on AAPC Coder, the symbol for female specific diagnosis is not attached. With the (postmenopausal) at the end of the description makes it seem like it should be. Very confusing.

Similar Threads

1. bio identical hormone replacement therapy
    By pamelat in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 01:58 PM
  2. injectible hormone replacement
    By cghanbari in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 03:30 PM
  3. Incorrect Gender in Dictation--Compliance Issue??
    By mhstrauss in forum Compliance General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM
  4. Hormone replacement therapy
    By agbirm in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM
  5. V07.4 - male hormone replacement?
    By Leanne in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM