AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Question about hsp discharges

Unhappy Question about hsp discharges

AAPC: Back to School
    Our doctor sometimes goes to the hospital and writes discharge orders for the patient to be discharged the following morning. She might say if patient can keep food down during night, may be discharged in a.m., or patient is now stable enough to go home, discharge in a.m. She does the exam, note, face to face stuff today....but they are actually discharged tomorrow. How do I bill that?

Richardson, Texas

You report the discharge management services for the day the physician actually saw the patient. This service requires the physician to provide face-to-face services.

Linda Hallstrom, CPC, CEMC
    Phoenix Arizona AAPC Chapter
    2007-2010 Board of Directors, AAPC Chapter Assn.

Milwaukee WI

Default I'm not sure

CPT clearly states "These codes are to be utilized by the physician to report all services provided to a patient on the date of discharge ..." (emhpasis added by FTB) - from CPT 2009 professional edition, page 14 - parenthetical remark under 99239.

I would be inclined to code the appropriate level subsequent hospital visit on the last date the patient was seen and never code the DC management.

But I can see Linda Halstrom's point of view.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Similar Threads

1. Software system Meditrac or HSP
    By Anduiza05 in forum Payer/Health Plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM
  2. Who discharges????
    By jvalntine in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
  3. Who discharges Patient? Need Help??
    By jvalntine in forum Medical Coding General Discussion