Thread: Same Day Admit/Discharge by 2 Doctors

Default Same Day Admit/Discharge by 2 Doctors

Promo: Code Books
    How would I code a same day admit and discharge by two doctors? The admitting doctor is our over night coverage hospitalist and then the day time hospitalist comes on duty and that afternoon dischargess the patient. How would I code this? Admit for the admitting doctor and discharge for the discharging doctor? They are both hospitalist.

Thanks, Randi
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Hi Randi,

We just had this same discussion where I work. What I have found is that it is basically up to your department to come up with how they want to do it, whether giving the charge to the admitting or discharging dr. Most of what I could find shows that it usually is given to the admitting Dr, but again, there is not a "set guideline" on how you should do it, at least not that I have found after hours of looking.

Have a great week!
    Jeni Smith, CPC, CPMA

Default Thanks

Thank you Jeni, that is what I have been doing, picking one of the doctors and giving him credit for same day admit/discharge, but I want back up that I was doing it correct.

Thanks again, Randi
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."