Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Psych codes vs E/M codes

1. Default
    Exam Training Packages
    I went to a cross country seminar 2 years ago. It wasn't too bad. Come with a list of your issues and when you are there, see if you can pass around a sheet of paper and let everyone put their emails on it. You can create a networking system that way so you have others to ask questions of. I did and it worked good.

2. Smile Psych codes vs E/M codes
    There are EM codes for behavioral health providers to use. They are apart of your regular psychotherapy codes. Review codes 90805, 90807, 90809. If it's an interactive service with EM you would use codes 90811, 90813 and 90815. These are used to specify that evaluation and management services were provided in addition to psychotherapy. Hopes this helps.

Our docs are seeing geriatrics patients and are doing a physical exam of sorts. The psychotherapy codes are not appropriate. Thanks anyway.

I did go to the seminar and I was not disappointed. I learned quite a few things that I am checking out with our compliance department.
    Charlene

Default Time based codes vs level coding
    I am coding for mental health and I am glad to find this post. Here is one of the concern I am up against. Psych codes are mainly time based codes
    (90804, 90806, etc) What is happening in my clinic recently is that physicians are not documenting how much time was actually spent with patient so we are instructed to level. My question is, is this correct procedure?

I code for DOD. Any feedback would be appreiciated.

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by C.orona View Post
    I am coding for mental health and I am glad to find this post. Here is one of the concern I am up against. Psych codes are mainly time based codes
    (90804, 90806, etc) What is happening in my clinic recently is that physicians are not documenting how much time was actually spent with patient so we are instructed to level. My question is, is this correct procedure?

I code for DOD. Any feedback would be appreiciated.
    If your providers are doing psychotherapy but not documenting the time, they need to be educated on documenting the time. The key is educating them on what key things need to be documented to bill.

I am not sure what you mean by DOD

(DOD = Department of Defense)

Time needs to be documented for psychotherapy. I would educate the providers on this. If they use a template it would be a good idea to have an area for them to remind them to document time.
    Donna E. Young, CPC

Default Addt'l Question
    Can anyone helo me regarding these couple questions my psych MD has. He is refering to the elimination of consult codes

1. Do the old rules apply, but we now just use different codes to bill consults or do we use the rules for the e/m codes now used for consults

a. For example, getting documentation of the consult request, no shared e/m billing for consult codes)

2. Can we, as psychiatrists, still bill a new (as opposed to established) e/m code for consultations despite the patient being seen by another physician (Palliative Med) from the same practice as we could under the old rules?

8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia619 View Post
    Can anyone helo me regarding these couple questions my psych MD has. He is refering to the elimination of consult codes

1. Do the old rules apply, but we now just use different codes to bill consults or do we use the rules for the e/m codes now used for consults

a. For example, getting documentation of the consult request, no shared e/m billing for consult codes)

2. Can we, as psychiatrists, still bill a new (as opposed to established) e/m code for consultations despite the patient being seen by another physician (Palliative Med) from the same practice as we could under the old rules?
    1) You bill to the rules of the code you are billing. If you are billing a 99215 for example, you do not have to have the 3R's documented, but since the intent of the service was to obtain an opinion, I would encourage them to still report back to the requesting even though you don't have to show in the note you did so.
    2) I think you should be able to bill new patient since it is different specialties

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12