AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Triplet Preg w/Vaginal delivery One at 22wks

Kansas City, MO

Question Triplet Preg w/Vaginal delivery One at 22wks

AAPC: Back to School
    Ok, I need some opinions on this one. We have a triplet pregnancy and the mother delivered one at 22+ weeks that was a live birth. She has retained the other to fetuses hoping to carry to term.

My initial thought was to bill the delivery only code. What do you all think?
    Angela Jordan, CPC
    AAPC of Kansas City
    National Advisory Board Representative Region 5

Medical Revenue $olutions
    Senior Managing Consultant

Kokomo, IN

Default vaginal delivery

WoW! I've never heard of that!! Interesting scenario. First I thought, do the global delivery, but then the patient is still pregnant and you wouldn't receive payment for the rest of the pregnancy and have trouble with the other 2 deliveries.
    So, I think I agree with you, delivery only for this one and then code global when she delivers again with second delivery. You will probably have to submit documentation. (Only a guess, but I would certainly question this one)!!!
    Thanks for posting this!

I had similar scenario happen in FLorida the mom had Twins. I billed delivery only, and when the second baby was delivered I sent the documentation from the first delivery in order to avoid the denials.....
    Marilyn CPC, CPC-H, CEMC