AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: explaining to doctors

Default educating the educated

AAPC: Back to School
    my e-mail is lfuhrmann@longmontclinic.com for anyone who has a tool for education in regards to E/M coding. I feel the support from all and appreciate it.

Milwaukee WI

Default Medical necessity

I'd say the first and more important thing a doctor needs to know is the MDM part of the documentation.

Doctors start their thought process with "what's wrong with the patient." And, generally, they have a "template" in their head of what they need to do to deal with the problem(s). Because of experience they already have a notion of the different kind of history that is needed, or what systems/body areas need to be examined for a "hernia" vs a "cold" vs "chest pain."

If you can show them the connection between these areas, and how it translates to the documentation required to arrive at the level of service, I think it helps the physicians internalize these processes.

I don't have a magic way of achieving this (especially not in 15 minutes). But we meet with our surgeons every other month and have 5-10 minutes on their agenda. We (my fellow reimbursement manager and I) try to focus on one area each time, rather than inundate them with everything. Next time we're going to mention the importance of -24 modifier for unrelated services during the global period.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

1. 2 Doctors, Same Tax ID
    By jflynn in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM
  2. explaining level of care in laymen terms to pt
    By Gracie123 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM