AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Transforaminal Endoscopic Discectomy

Question Transforaminal Endoscopic Discectomy

AAPC: Back to School
    Hello All!

I code for an ASC and have been searching all over to come up with the correct coding of a "Transforaminal Endoscopic Discectomy" of the Lumbar spine. This was performed as well as an Electrothermal Annuloplasty.

The physician insists on 63056 and 22526 however, I feel the correct code should be 63030 for the discectomy. Does anyone have any input or resources that may lead me to the proper code???

Thanks in advance!

North Carolina

Assuming the discectomy was performed endoscopically, my first instinct was 63030. 63030 includes the neuroendoscopic approach. As for the electrothermal annuloplasty...22526. 63056 could be reported when a far lateral herniated lumbar disc requires an alternative approach through the foramina but there is no mention of an endoscopic approach for this method. Soley based on your question, 63030/22526. Keep in mind that CMS does not have a fee schedule for 22526.

Thank you so much! This information was very helpful!

Similar Threads

1. Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy
    By katic23 in forum Neurology/Neurosurgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 01:29 PM
  2. Endoscopic discectomy
    By BFAITHFUL in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
  3. Endoscopic discectomy lmb
    By RHONDA0265 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0