AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COSC exam - How many questions did each section

York, Pa

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaec View Post
    wow..now I'm totally confused -- 75 questions, 150 questions, or 5 case with 3 questions each which is what,......15 questions total???

according to our own website: (pasted directly from it)......
    Specialty Exams

150 multiple-choice questions (proctored)
    5 1/2 hours
    1 free retake
    Open Code book (manuals)
    Specialty exams aptly measure preparedness for “real world” coding by being operative/patient-note based. In addition to questions regarding the correct application of ICD-9-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II and modifier coding assignments, examinees will also be tested on specialty-specific coding and regulations.

Specialty Exam Preparation
    Please be aware that each specialty exam is comprehensive of the facets of its specialty to ensure you are truly a master in your specialized field of coding. It is STRONGLY recommended that you complete the Online Specialty Exam Practicum, which will measure your readiness for the actual exam.

I took the CEMC and there were a total of 50 notes to read with 3 question for each note, which gives you the 150 questions.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Nashville, TN

I'm scheduled to take the test mid July. What sources did you take with you? I understand about the CPT and ICD-9 books. The practicum mentions 50 sheets that are allowable to use. What are they talking about?
    Also, I am not sure how to determine RVU order as I always use software for that.
    Thank you for any help.

The 50 sheets are the E/M sheets that came with the practicum, but I was not allowed to use that - it did not bother me though. You do not need the RVU thing - I know nothing about that, and did not need it. I took my 2 orthopedics coding companions (that counts as 1) and also my diagnoses desk reference (my choice). Good Luck!

Charleston, South Carolina

I am working on the practicum for this exam now. WOW! I work in ortho consulting and I think the test is going to be wicked. Very tough questions. I recommend getting the practicum for anyone who wants to sit for this exam. It gives real-life questions and a great example of whats on the test.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12