Over 50% Off + FREE Exam with Certification Training | Learn More
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Becoming an ICD10 Trainer

1. Default ICD10 - Train the Trainer Courses
    Medical Coding Books
    Looking for courses to become a trainer for ICD 10. I see Ahima has put together a program. Will AAPC be providing the opportunity to do this?

It's really awfully late in the game to build an ICD-10 trainer program, in my opinion. There are alternatives to AHIMA for the I-10 trainer. My employer sought such training through the American Insitute of Healthcare Compliance (AIHC). I've attached the website below. Although a colleague went through the AHIMA training, I personally believed it to be too long and convoluted for my needs and those of my organization. Therefore, AIHC was a better fit for me. Honestly, if folks have been coding for awhile, the transition should not be impossible. Granted, you may not have the "new codes" memorized like the ICD-9, but that is not the point of the training anyhow.

With AIHC, you have a more modularized format: ICD-10-CM is one part and ICD-10-PCS is the other. I do not know if other organizations do this same thing, but I personally did not have the time between work and formal academic studies to carve out time for a conference, assessments during the conference and then months of training. My AIHC training took long enough and did the same job.

Understand, I am not hocking anyone's product here. I'm just pointing you toward available options.

http://www.aihc-assn.org/Portals/3/I...ket_2013.5.pdf

Unfortunately, there are a vast number of organizations providing I-10 training that does little to help produce people who could train on the subject. The industry calls for trainers in this area and the need exists.

3. Default
    I went through AHIMA to become a ICD-10 Trainer. The hospital I work for sent me and it was a great program. Wish I could have done a program through AAPC since i'm a member. But on AHIMA's website I am now listed as a ICD-10 CM/PCS Trainer.

I also went to the AHIMA ICD-10 CM/PCS Trainer-on-Trainer last spring and it was a great program. Now I'm teaching our hospital's coding staff of 18 (inpt and outpt coders) with the materials provided. It has made all the difference!!!

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by anmariebrigham View Post
    I also went to the AHIMA ICD-10 CM/PCS Trainer-on-Trainer last spring and it was a great program. Now I'm teaching our hospital's coding staff of 18 (inpt and outpt coders) with the materials provided. It has made all the difference!!!
    Can you tell me what the requirements are for keeping your status as trainer? CEU'S recertification etc please?
    Theresa CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

I had to take an exam about 8 weeks after the 3 day conference ($199) in order to get my certificate and in oreder to keep it, I need to renew each year by taking another exam. It states in my paperwork that you can continue to renew through June 2014, but it may be 2015 since ICD-10CM implementaion date was delayed since then. No additional CEU's are required. Hope this helps!!
    Thanks!

7. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by anmariebrigham View Post
    I had to take an exam about 8 weeks after the 3 day conference ($199) in order to get my certificate and in oreder to keep it, I need to renew each year by taking another exam. It states in my paperwork that you can continue to renew through June 2014, but it may be 2015 since ICD-10CM implementaion date was delayed since then. No additional CEU's are required. Hope this helps!!
    Thanks!
    Yes that does help. Thank you for the information. I would love to take the course.
    Theresa CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by maryg View Post
    I was wondering how one would go about becoming a trainer/teacher of ICD-10? Where I work the physicians, nurses, techs are required to code and to my knowledge they still will have to when this all changes so I would like to find out where to get information or who can I contact. I tried googling and really couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Mary G

go and buy books from aapc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12