AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Emergency Home Visit

Default Emergency Home Visit

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone have any information regarding billing for clinical social workers sent to a patient's home for crisis intervention? We receive phone calls from the police because of critical situations in the home. What cpt code would you use to bill this and what place of service?

I would bill POS home and use whatever code they performed..

Why wasnt the patient brought in under the 51.15? I would think if the situation was that bad, they would have brought them in involuntarily.

I can't answer why the patient wasn't brought in, but this is part of the services provided by our crisis center. We also provide similar services at the local schools. I guess we would use "03" (school) when a crisis situation occurs at school.

Thanks for your help. I've recently learned behavioral health has very different rules than other specialities.

Can you recommend any learning resources for this specialty?

Glendale, AZ

Hi krxan, I just sent you a private message with some resources I found helpful.
    Donna E. Young, CPC

Default Resources

The things that I have found most beneficial is reading Medicare's poilicies on each code group. Everything I have heard in seminars and from consultants has all come from there.

Thanks so much for your list of resources. I did join a local chapter for behavioral health, but I need so much more. I'll obtain information from the sources listed.

Roseann Kennedy, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Emergency Room Visit
    By sbond in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM
  2. Question on emergency visit EM
    By preema in forum E/M
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM
  3. Emergency room visit
    By seegaye in forum Emergency Department