06-29-2018, 09:47 AM | Community Wiki

Dibetes coding

1. Default Dibetes coding
    Medical Coding Books
    Good Morning,
    if a patient has diabetes and AC1 levels are controlled by insulin do I still code DM with hyperglycemia.
    My doctors are stating that he has hyperglycemia just controlled on insulin.

If they are documenting that patient has DM with hyperglycemia then yes, you code it as such.

If they are stating diabetes is controlled then it is coded to the proper type I or II diabetes codes.

If they document Uncontrolled Diabetes then they have to mentioned what kinda of "uncontrolled" levels the patient has to be able to code it as DM with hyperglycemia or DM with hypoglycemia.

let me know if this helps.
    Marco Unzueta CIC, CPC
    - Medical Records Tech - Inpatient Coder
    - Outpatient Instructor
    AAPC El Paso Chapter - President

Default Diagnosis code should be for what they have today
    As coders we do not interpret lab results.

That being said, the provider needs to understand that they should code based on the condition of the patient today. For example if the patient does not have hyperglycemia today then they don't have it. Coding E11.65 (type 2 with hyperglycemia) is the equivalent to the old ICD-9 statement of "diabetes uncontrolled". So if the patient's diabetes is stable and controlled on insulin and there are no complications the correct codes would be E11.9 and whatever the code for long term use of insulin is. Because today he does not have "diabetes with hyperglycemia" if the patient is controlled and stable.

Just my 2 cents.