AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Congenital abnormaility

Default Congenital abnormaility

AAPC: Back to School
    I was wondering what code should I use for excision of cartilage preauricular. The patient is 6-year old with abnormal area of cartilage in the preauricular cheek region. She would need cartilage removed and then repair of wound. Can someone give me an idea what would be the best codes to use. 21209 seemed to fit. But my Dr. said it is cartilage not bone.

Kim Hollins

Milwaukee WI

Default -52 modifier OR unlisted

If the procedure is going to be basically the same as 21209 except that he'll be removing cartilage vs bone, then you might want to consider coding 21209-52.

Alternately, you could use the 21299 Unlisted craniofacial and maxillofacial procedure and base your pricing on 21209.

You state the excess cartilage is in the preauricular cheek region ... could it possibly be a form of otoplasty? Maybe you need the 69399 Unlisted procedure, external ear (although this will probably be viewed as cosmetic).

Just "typing out loud" ... Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Similar Threads

1. Congenital vs. Non-Congenital Cath
    By Amanda__ in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
  2. Help - Congenital - Foreign body in left pulmonary artery
    By conleyclan in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
  3. Congenital TTE's
    By hoopsha in forum Medical Coding General Discussion