AAPC - Back to school

Thread: PT/INR Lab question

Exclamation PT/INR Lab question

AAPC: Back to School
    Good Morning.
    I am in need of someone's point of view on this situation. I work at a facility in which we have many patient's that have standing orders for PT/INR, and Coumadin Therapy. Most generally the Drs. give us the diagnosis as to why they are on the Coumadin and getting the PT checked, so we have been coding these cases with the diagnosis given and the Long Term Med. Mtr. diags. (ie. 453.9 and V58.61). It has come to my attention that we should not be coding it in this way, but instead using the V58.83 then the V58.61 (encounter for therapuetic drug monitoring, then the long term mtr. code) is this correct? And also would it be incorrect to include the actual problem as to why there are on the meds?
    I have read the Coding Clinics, 2Q2004 pg. 10-11, and Coding Clinic 3Q2002, pg. 15-16, but they do not seem to get a specific scenario. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by ruthan; 12-27-2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: delete no response

Similar Threads

1. lab question
    By sbetts in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 11:58 AM
  2. Lab question - Phencyclidine,and Propoxyphene
    By Wendywho02 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 12:01 PM
  3. question for INR and reimbursement,,,,
    By cdr4life in forum Billing/Reimbursement