Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice for CPC

Unhappy Advice for CPC
    Medical Coding Books
    just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on taking the CPC test, I took it about two weeks ago and failed. According to what they said I need improvement in anatomy, practice management and coding guidelines. I feel like I studied so much, but if anyone has only advice please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jen Hart
    Last edited by Jennifer Hartzell; 03-30-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Unhappy Help with CPC exam
    [QUOTE=Jennifer Hartzell;49396]just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on taking the CPC test, I took it about two weeks ago and failed. According to what they said I need improvement in anatomy, practice management and coding guidelines. I feel like I studied so much, but if anyone has only advice please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jen Hartz

Im taking my exam in April and I keep reading posts that say people are failing..Im so worried now..
    Im sorry I cant offer you any help other than DONT GIVE UP !!!!!
    Best wishes

It is normal to see a lot of posts of people who don't pass. They come to the forum for helpful hints and advice. Most people who pass never share their experience on the forum. I just proctored a test a few weeks ago and I know several that passed.

You might consider puchasing the CPC Study Guide if you haven't done so already. It covers all of the areas of the exam and it might help you bulk up on the areas you need help in.

The best advice I can give is don't stress out! Most people who need to take the test a second time have a different opinion of it. They aren't as nervous because they know what to expect.
    Angela Jordan, CPC, COBGC, AAPC Fellow
    Senior Managing Consultant
    Medical Revenue Solutions, LLC
    AAPC National Advisory Board - Southwest
    AAPCCA BOD Chair 2012-2013
    angela@medicalrevenuesolutions.com

I agree with Angela. The CPC Study Guide is the way to go. I used it when I took the exam several years ago and it was a tremendous help. It gave me an idea as to what to expect from the exam itself. Don't give up!

Best Wishes!

Teresa Collins, CPC

Know your books!! I can't stress that enough. Know your sections in their entirety so you can quickly get the answer and move along to the next question. Use your anatomy charts and look up medical terms you don't know in the ICD9 book, they normally have the definition or it will led you to the answer or allow you to make an educated guess.

I failed my first time taking the test too. Needless to say I was so depressed & disappointed. I thought I studied so hard!! When I took the test the second time, I was still nervous, but at least I knew what to expect. I agree with "AR", KNOW YOUR BOOKS!! Read the guidelines over & over & use a highlighter. Re-take the test as soon as you can!!

Good luck!!

8. Default
    did any used a 2008 text books during the exam ????? it says recommended to use updated but not necessary..... any particular medical dictionary that is resourceful to bring to the exam???
    thanks in advance for the reply...
    good luck to everyone and I myself try not to stress

I took my test this past fall and passed (thankfully!). I think the best help that I had was using the CPC study guide by Carol Buck. She really seemed to break things down into a more understandable explanation. She gives example questions that are similar to those on the test. As far as the medical terminology goes, I wrote a ton of terms and definitions in my books. I had some on the anatomy pages and others along the sections. Pretty much if she mentioned something in that book that I did not know, I wrote it down. I don't know if this has changed, but when I took my test, we were only allowed to use CPT, ICD9 and HCPCS books (check online and the application for specific book details) so I wrote everything I could in my books.

Best of luck to you!!

Default Cpc
    Quote Originally Posted by eyusico View Post
    did any used a 2008 text books during the exam ????? it says recommended to use updated but not necessary..... any particular medical dictionary that is resourceful to bring to the exam???
    thanks in advance for the reply...
    good luck to everyone and I myself try not to stress
    You really should use a current year book for the test. The test is geared toward that year so any changes will not be reflected in the previous year books. this year there were whole sections removed and added elsewhere so you really need that. Next, a medical dictionary is not allowed except for certain specialties. (Can't remember which one right off the bat), but for the CPC, CPC-H I know it's not allowed.
    Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast