Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fracture with dislocation

Default Fracture with dislocation
    Medical Coding Books
    Is it appropriate to code for a fracture and a dislocation of the same bone, or should you just assign the DX for the fracture?
    Thanks in advance?

2. Default
    I always thought this was weird too, when a Dr would list fx and dislocation on the same area. However, I was always taught to use the worst dx (fx) as the primary code.

I would code out the fracture dx only.

Why not both?
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Fractures are usually associated with dislocations, so I personally would just go with the fracture. But I suppose you could do both, wouldn't hurt.

Dislocations occur at the joint; fractures occur to the bone itself. I would code both.
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Fracture/dislocation
    A fracture-dislocation of the same site is coded using the fracture code. It is incorrect to use an additional code for the dislocation. Likewise, reduction of the fracture-dislocation is coded using only the code for the reduction of the fracture. (See Coding Clinic, third quarter 1990, page 13.)

here's a different source:

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/em/trau...VICD9codes.pdf
    Last edited by ARCPC9491; 03-31-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks for the info!

AR - unfortunately I don't get Coding Clinic . I referenced the resource link you provided and it states "same site". If the dislocation and fracture are at differnt sites (say the dislocation is at the elbow and the fracture is on the radius not at the joint, how would this be coded for dx only?
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Oh yikes now you're going to make me think

I will try to find something in writing, but it's the trauma/force, let's say.. on the radius (fx).. that would cause the joint to dislocate. The dislocation would be the lesser of the two evils, so the fracture dx would suffice and be coded alone.. if I recall correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast