Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Worrying about CPC exam and other posts

1. Default cpc exam
    Exam Training Packages
    Hello everybody, well I am new to the site as many of you. I am supposed to take my exam at the end of may and I am really nervous, and as someone else said before, just by reading the posts I get even worse. I really like coding, and I am putting all my effort to pass this test.
    I have a question though, I know the test have 150 questions, but how are they divided??? can anybody tell me??? and I purchased the study guide that aapc sells on the web, has anybody bought it??? is it worth it??? does it really help , to know what I can expect on the test???
    thanks
    Gisella
    Gisella Chavez, CPC

I used the CPC Coding Exam Review 2009 and thought it was helpful. Read the Success Strategies in the front of the book for inspiration and to develop your plan. I completed the pre-exam, post-exam and final examination to determine my weaknesses. Each score dropped by 2% but I shaved some serious time off of each test.

I looked over the CPC exam and answered the questions that I was certain of and left the longer op reports for last. We were allowed to have snacks that could be eaten quietly. Bathroom breaks did not count against the 5.5 hour timeframe and I may have left one question unanswered. I slept very little the night before and I did not get into the groove until after I ate a piece of dark chocolate to rev my engine!

This may seem very simple but read the questions carefully.

I had very few notes in my books, no fancy tabs nor a carousel for quicker access; I have no past coding experience and passed. Stay positive and focused. You can do it, Gisella!

J

When I took my exam back in 2005 I did use the ISP ( independent study program ) that aapc offers because I was only exposed to e/m billing/coding. Never coded a surgery in my life. I didn't have any special tabs or notes in my books either and passed the first time around. I was however very nervous about the surgical coding. I got good rest the night before but that morning I was nervous and I didn't get finished my exam until they called time. I did answer every question. It was a good idea to use the process of elimination on the questions I was not sure about. I left the exam with the "I know I failed attitude" and to my surprise I passed.

Stay focused and believe in yourself.

Best of luck,
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

4. Default Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by gisellachavez View Post
    I am supposed to take my exam at the end of may and I am really nervous, and as someone else said before, just by reading the posts I get even worse. I have a question though, I know the test have 150 questions, but how are they divided??? can anybody tell me??? and I purchased the study guide that aapc sells on the web, has anybody bought it??? to know what I can expect on the test???
    thanks
    Gisella
    Hi Gisella, I took the test today and it was hard. I thought all the practice tests I did were helpful as most of those same scenerios were in the exam. I could not figure out how the test was divided, so I jumped all over the place. I did finish the test last in the room, and wished I had time to go over the questions I flagged. Now I have to stay calm until the results are posted.

5. Default Cpc exam question
    Hello everyone, I am a new member, I will be taking my exam at the end of may, I bought the study guide which I hope helps. I know there are 150 questions, but does anybody know if the exam is divided into sections?? I think I read that somewhere, and I was wondering, also is the exam computarized??? and if it is by section they grade it like that?? sorry for all the questions, I am really nervous, anxious, and excited at the same time, I really like coding and I went to school for it and got really good grades. But I read a lot that the exam isn't easy AT ALL and I am getting scared. Can anybody help me there???
    And someone who already took it, how did you study ??I am trying to have a plan and order I don't want to go crazy!!!!
    And one last question, is about the books, I don't have them, and I don't know if I should buy the 3 of them, does anyone knows of a diferent option???
    Thanks !!!
    Gisella Chavez, CPC

Default New CPC exam taker
    Like you, I am new to the coding world and just completing my last class. What I did was check out two main areas to prepare for the exam: 1. I have the cd's from my text book which has quizzes and tests on it, and 2. I purchased the 2010 CPC Coding Exam Review, by Carol J. Buck. It explains the 3 sections of the exams and how many correct responses you need to pass, plus is a review of the course you took for medical billing and coding. It made me feel less nervous because it gave me an idea of what was expected.
    Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by gabe20043 View Post
    What was helpful for me when i passed was to look at the ICD-9 codes first. I was able to eliminate 1 or 2 just by doing that. Also, write in all the vocab you don't know in your book, especially the colors. Study the guidelines, especially in the anesthesia and E/M sections.

Good Luck
    From what I understood, and I may have misread it, you were not allowed to write in the manual taken allowed into the exam. Is this true? What I thought I had read was you could only take in published (?) updates to the manuals you have and will use during the exam.

Quote Originally Posted by gisellachavez View Post
    Hello everyone, I am a new member, I will be taking my exam at the end of may, I bought the study guide which I hope helps. I know there are 150 questions, but does anybody know if the exam is divided into sections?? I think I read that somewhere, and I was wondering, also is the exam computarized??? and if it is by section they grade it like that?? sorry for all the questions, I am really nervous, anxious, and excited at the same time, I really like coding and I went to school for it and got really good grades. But I read a lot that the exam isn't easy AT ALL and I am getting scared. Can anybody help me there???
    And someone who already took it, how did you study ??I am trying to have a plan and order I don't want to go crazy!!!!
    And one last question, is about the books, I don't have them, and I don't know if I should buy the 3 of them, does anyone knows of a diferent option???
    Thanks !!!
    I have not taken the exam, but I purchased (what I hope to be) a reputable study book for the exam: Carol Buck, 2010 CPC Coding Exam Review. She lists 3 sections. If you want me to type them out for you, let me know. She also gives the percentage you must have correct in each section to pass, which looks fair from here.

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousHistorian View Post
    From what I understood, and I may have misread it, you were not allowed to write in the manual taken allowed into the exam. Is this true? What I thought I had read was you could only take in published (?) updates to the manuals you have and will use during the exam.
    please someone reply to this very authentic question, can u write in the cpt book - not whole 9 yards, but some references

Quote Originally Posted by fomar View Post
    please someone reply to this very authentic question, can u write in the cpt book - not whole 9 yards, but some references
    I took the exam on 10/31/2009, my CPT book has tons of notes in it. You cannot have post its or papers taped inside of the books, nothing that can "fall" out. Handwritten notes were encouraged. Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast