Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Worrying about CPC exam and other posts

Default Worrying about CPC exam and other posts
    Exam Training Packages
    I am fairly new to this website( having just taken the CPC boot camp ) and registered for the exam on April 18th...I must admit, I am VERY nervous. I have been reading others posts in the forums, and it concerns me...Am I studying enough? In the right way? What if it isnt enough?? Are all questions I am struggling with. If I dont pass the exam on the first try, I lose my job( they recruited me because of my experience, but I MUST be a CPC in order for compliance)

If anyone has tips, and perhaps some vote of confidence, it would be great ..

Concerned CPC wanna be

2. Smile Practice Exams
    Do the practice exams and really stick to the time limits. The rationals on some of the practice exams were extremely helpful for me. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by maitri1970 View Post
    I am fairly new to this website( having just taken the CPC boot camp ) and registered for the exam on April 18th...I must admit, I am VERY nervous. I have been reading others posts in the forums, and it concerns me...Am I studying enough? In the right way? What if it isnt enough?? Are all questions I am struggling with. If I dont pass the exam on the first try, I lose my job( they recruited me because of my experience, but I MUST be a CPC in order for compliance)

Concerned CPC wanna be

3. Default Look at ICD-9 codes
    What was helpful for me when i passed was to look at the ICD-9 codes first. I was able to eliminate 1 or 2 just by doing that. Also, write in all the vocab you don't know in your book, especially the colors. Study the guidelines, especially in the anesthesia and E/M sections.

Good Luck

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by maitri1970 View Post

Concerned CPC wanna be
    Well I am new to this site also and I am registered to take my test May 8th... I am feeling your nerves!!!!!! I don't know just what to study exactly. I feel I have been doing the best I can with the guidelines and reading these forums it sounds scary!!!!! I am wondering if these practice exams are a good thing?? Maybe they will just make it worse? OMG???

5. Smile Studying for the CPC Exam.
    HI,
    I agree with you, I'm registered for my CPC exam for April 25th and I'm truly nervous and scared. I'm questing myself did I study hard enough, should I reschedule my exam date to study more. I'm praying hard!! But I have to give myself confidence, and I have a lot of people that work with saying " you'll pass on your first try." We just have to pace ourselves and WE WILL PASS THIS EXAM ON OUR FIRST TRY!!!

KNOW YOUR GUIDELINES. Knowing your guidelines in each book makes a world of difference. Also, make any notes you can to help you (see AAPC guidelines for allowable notes). My big suggestion after these is do the things your know first. If you are good at labs, do that first, or E/M, or surgery, whatever you are best at, do those sections/areas/questions first. This will do a great deal for your confidence. Then start the questions you dont know right off or have to look up more. Review the question and answers and eliminate any answer right away that doesnt work. If you cant get the answer then, move on to the next questions. Come back to those later and a fresh look may make the difference. Good luck to all! Oh, an take a deep breath and relax.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Preparing for the CPC exam can be stressful but if you stay focused and calm, you will be able to tackle the exam skillfully. Remember, positive energy gives positive results. We have all been there and you probably know a lot more than you give yourself credit for.
    I recommend reading the front pages of the ICD-9 CM book for review and the front pages of the CPT. Also, there is valuable information at the beginning of every section in the CPT.
    If you are going for the CPC, you already have the intangible knowledge that comes with hands on experience. Believe in yourself and know that the exam is challenging but not impossible.
    It is unfortunate that there is pressure to pass the first time out. AAPC gives a second chance for the simple reason that many coders DO stress the first time and once they know what to expect from the testing, they are much calmer the second time around.
    I wish you the best and hope you share with us the good news that you earned your CPC!!!!

I took the exam last year. And passed on the first attempt. I have several employees scheduled to take it this year.

My best advice is to know your guidelines. Read the pages in the front of ICD-9 and CPT. Read the information in the beginning of sections that you do not regularly work with.

And, always remember you DO have a second shot. I went into the exam fully expecting to have to use my second test. Like many of you, I was very nervous. I thought I was going to throw up the morning of the exam.

If you can, use the AAPC sample test exam. It will give you an idea of what to look for.

I found on most questions you could immediately eliminate two of the four answers, so you had a 50/50 chance of getting the answer right.

Tracy

Default know your books
    Know how to effectively use your books. Use the appendixes. Use the ICD9 guidelines in the front of it. If you have a medical terminology question you get stumped on, look up the diagnosis in the ICD9 book, 9 times out 10 the definition is there or it will led you to the answer, or eliminate answers and you can take an educated guess. If there is an abbreviations question, there's a listing of abbreviations in the book. Use your charts and pictures in your book to help with the anatomy, bones, muscles, etc. An open book test is all about knowing where to find the answer. Go through every page of your books and get familiar with where the sections are so you can quickly find the answer!

Default I was in the same boat
    I was in the same boat. I had experience but no CPC. The position I'm currently in requires the CPC. I was hired on the condition that I attain the CPC within 6 months. Like you, I attended the CPC Book Camp and took the exam about 1 month after the camp.

One thing I found VERY helpful ... use post-it notes to TAB the sections in your books. I had tabs for the blank page where I drew the heart anatomy (order of vessels), for the E code index, for the drug table, etc.

When you get to the test - READ THE QUESTION FIRST. Yes, forget the scenario, read the question first. This way you know what you're looking for when you start reading the scenario.

You know more than you think you do. Even if your experience has been limited (as mine was ... strictly E/M for pediatric critical care), you already understand about using the books.

Don't let medical terminology or anatomy throw you, either. If you don't know the answer ... skip that question and keep reading. I was able to answer two of the anatomy Qs because later on in the test those same (or similar) words came up in scenarios; context of the question plus the ICD9 and CPT codes in the answers to that question gave me enough of a clue that I could go back and answer the anatomy questions.

Stress and worry are your enemies.

Try this exercise (I know, you'll feel foolish at first).
    Stand in front of a mirror (preferably full length). Say out loud - I know this material and I will rock this test. Say it again. Stand up straight. Say it again. Look yourself in the eye and dare yourself to not believe it's true. Say it again, louder. Repeat this exercise until you FEEL the confidence you are practicing.

Go get 'em!
    F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
    Last edited by FTessaBartels; 03-31-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast