I completed an assignment for a mental health behavior center last year. For interactive therapy which includes family therapy on the same DOS as individual therapy you would want to use a -59 for distinct procedural svc. I wouldnt use -51 because that is for multiple procedures OTHER then E/M levels according to AMA's CPT definition. If med records are requested after using this modifier, which is very common, then make sure the therapist documents why the family counseling or family interaction was needed, such as a child would not communicate without parents help, etc.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join